Jul 31, 2014

Herb Salmon with Baby Kale Salad

This is a recipe adapted from September 2014 issue of Canadian Living. I was recently introduced to this magazine by some coworkers and was floored at the quality of content - recipes, parenting, home decor. There was a section on "15 minute" recipes and I decided to try this appetizing meal since for the most part I had the ingredients.


Herbed Salmon

Ingredients:

  • 2 salmon fillets
  • 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • pinch of salt and pepper

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Farenheit. 
  2. Mix olive oil and fresh parsley in a mixing bowl.
  3. Place salmon on a greased (with olive oil) sheet of aluminum foil.
  4. Lightly season salmon with salt and pepper

Baby Kale Salad

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups of baby kale (I chose a spring mix with baby spinach and chard)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • pinch of salt and pepper
  • 1 can of mandarin oranges (drained, for a healthy alternative use ones that are in its own juices rather than the syrup option)

Directions:

  1. In a small, mix olive oil, wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
  2. Add to larger salad bow along with mandarin oranges and baby kale salad mix.
Serve!



Taking are of yourself means eating healthy too -  I didn't have a lot of sleep last night, and found myself craving lots of junk food on the way home. I thought. I knew I had frozen pizza at home, maybe I would make that since my brother wasn't home this week cooking for one didn't seem appealing.

Then I recalled something a friend of mine told me. She goes above and beyond to take care of others, but found it hard to look for motivation to look after herself. A life coach she worked with challenged her on this - "why not take care of yourself too? Aren't you just as worthy of the care and attention that you give to others?" This idea of self-care was in reference to simple things like eating healthy, three square meals a day, getting outside in the sun, spending time with people that have a positive influence on her, doing something for herself an hour a day. As much as self-care is focusing on the emotional and mental, physical aspects like a healthy diet are things I certainly take for granted.

Salmon Photography

With it being summer, there's a lot of natural light that comes into my condo. So I set these dishes by the window and started snapping away. The photos look ten times better in natural light rather than the artificial yellow light I have in my kitchen. 







Cheers!
 
To receive updates, follow me on InstagramTwitter and on Facebook.
You can also subscribe to this blog via BlogLovin.

See more posts on recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment